Thursday, February 3, 2011

What's For Dinner??

I've been subscribing to Taste of Home for years.  I have so many recipes, it'd take me a few years I think to go through them all.  Yet, here I am, standing in front of the fridge thinking, "What in the world to make for dinner?" 
Now understand, I have children, finicky children who's eyes grow as big as saucers if the dish is not immediately recognizable.  The other day my youngest explained it all to me.  He pointed to the proxcimity of I'm guessing his left kidney, and said, " See, this tummy, doesn't like green 'hings. and this one, pointing to his other side, doesn't like new food that doesn't taste yummy."  ie. veggies.

"Well, I say, pointing to his belly button, what does this tummy like?"  He's good, as his IMMEDIATE response was, " Chocolate milk,. with a straw. "  Hmmm.  I push a little further.  " Exactly how many tummies do you have?"  "Oh lots, this one (hand over heart) is for cereal, but I fed it a cookie instead and it was fine"" Why didn't you just feed your cookie tummy?" "Because, I filled it with water."

Anyhooo... So I do try to expand their little taste buds, some work, some fail miserably.  I also tend to use my friends as guinea pigs.  In a good way, because I make good food - usually. ( I will never, ever live down that onion omelet...)

 A few years ago I was throwing a Thank You dinner party for the volunteers of the church nursery,( I was the director of the nursery at the time).  I went through recipes, websites, cookbook after cookbook to find that perfect meal.   I was excited to make it, I felt it had to be extra special to convey my level of gratitude to them.   I decided on stuffed pork loin with loaded baked  potatoes, homemade dinner rolls and dessert - panna cotta with various toppings.  I also made 3 different appetizers, a lovely artichoke dip, shrimp wonton bites and a warm onion dip with garlic.  I LOVE to cook, bake and FEED people!

So I worked all day, preparing, stuffing, baking, packing up to take it all to the church where I served the dinner.  As my guests were enjoying the appetizers, and I was getting ready to serve, one of the volunteers asked, "So is this another recipe you haven't made before??"  I felt absolutely horrified, because it was a recipe I put togather by bits and pieces of other recipes I found interesting and thought, "Hmm, why not do this instead?"   And I had not tasted it, or made it ahead of time, I'd just gone and done it.  For the first time I thought," Oh dear God, what if its horrible????"  I instantly felt panicky, and it must've showed because he laughed and said, "I'm sure its great!"  I said, "Well if its not, pretend it is!" 

It did turn out wonderfully.  It was juicy, flavorful and seasoned just right. WHEW!  Since then, I admit, I've done the same thing, made new dishes for guests without testing it.  One of these times, it's gonna backfire, but to be honest, it doesn't dawn on me to test it out first, til the guests are there, and then that "oh maybe I shoulda' " thought appears!

I'm getting long winded so I will close with this:  I bake, cook, prepare out of love for the people I  am cooking for.  Its more than just food, its my way of expressing myself, letting people know they are important to me, and my way of letting you know, I care for you!  

Now I must go and make a meal for the most important people in my life, my family....

No comments:

Post a Comment