Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Memories

As a little girl, I used to lay in the grass and watch the clouds go by, making up stories for all the interesting shapes that slowly changed as the wind blew them away. I'd sit on the grass, listening to the rustle of the trees in the wind, and it was all so calm, safe.  Occasionally a Whoosh sound and I'd look up and see the wind picking up, the leaves dancing on the branches.  We had a big  Weeping Willow in the front yard and I'd sit under it as the branches gently waved in the breeze and play house or pretend to be invisible.

Now I listen to the trees and think of all the leaves and branches that will need to be raked and when the wind picks up I look to the sky for any dark clouds, wondering if a storm's coming.  I no longer lay in the grass, or the chiggers and ants will have a heyday.  If I've had a hard day, I long for those days of childhood where there was so little to worry about.

These days  I watch my kids running around the yard,  especially Ethan.   He has a special tree he loves to climb and just sit in.  Just hanging out, watching cars on the highway or birds,  it's his special spot, one I know someday he will remember with fondness.  I can hear him talking to himself making up stories he'll tell me later as I tuck him in.  I'm glad he has his tree, like I had my clouds, wind  and weeping willow. 

Where was your special spot, special memory from childhood, revisit it, write about it and feel that warm fuzzy inside, it'll make your day....

1 comment: